Here’s how I made yummy salmon fish cakes out of last night’s leftovers.
- 275 g cooked salmon, bones and skin removed, flaked
- 275 g leftover potato bake, stovies, frittata etc. (or use mashed potato with a little grated cheese)
- 1 egg
- a little chopped red – e.g. red pepper, chilli
- a little chopped green – e.g. fresh herbs, rocket, spinach, green beans
- 1 tsp paprika and/or chilli powder
- salt and pepper
Bung it all in the processor and pulse until combined (but not puréed). Turn into a bowl and fold in enough flour to make a soft, not firm but not sloppy, mix.
For the crumb mix:
- 2-3 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
Grind to a coarse powder in a processor or mortar.
Roll the mix into patties and dust in a little of the crumb mix. Shallow fry in hot oil until golden. Since the ingredients are already cooked the mix only needs to heat through; they won’t take long! Serve immediately.